The mandate of the Task Team on Leadership and Governance is to coordinate and implement the following programmes of the Gauteng Speakers Forum: To deepen and entrench democracy and accountability through establishment of effective legislative processes in Gauteng Province, Design institutional arrangements for effective legislative arms of Councils
- Roll out the experience gained from the "separation of powers" framework adopted and piloted by coj
- Convene a conference on "local government and accountability" to:
- Receive inputs on legislative impediments to the separation of powers;- Receive inputs on proposed legislative changes to facilitate separation of powers
- Develop a position paper on "oversight and accountability in local legislatures" for discussion and adoption by municipal councils.
- Develop a roles and responsibilities matrix for gst processes including:
- The interface with salga;- The interface with the provincial executive;- The interface with traditional leadership;- The interface with national entities; and- The interface with district forums.
- Review of local government legislation to create provisions for the establishment and resourcing of local legislatures.